What Fellows Receive
The Fellowship is a one-year program designed to help promising Myanmar citizen leaders to reach their potential and better serve their organizations, communities, and country. DeBoer Fellows receive personal coaching, networking opportunities, and first-rate instruction, from Myanmar and global executives to help them grow both in professional competence and personal character.
Over the course of nine months, Fellows attend three five-day workshops in retreat settings, with professional-development projects in-between. This year’s Fellow Events take place on the following dates.
- Fellow Event #1: January 24-28, 2017
- Fellow Event #2: May 8-13, 2017
- Fellow Event #3: October 3-7, 2017
Each of the three Fellow Events has a different focus, integrated with and building upon the previously taught topics.
- Fellow Event #1 covers personal and relationship skills needed by leaders, including Conflict Transformation and Personal Calling (Leadership Styles, Personal Habits, etc.). All Fellowship teaching emphasizes integrity, ethics, and service.
- Fellow Event #2 helps build leaders’ professional skills like Strategic Planning, Advocacy, and Communication. With each Event, more group work is included.
- Fellow Event #3 provides Fellows with a broader understanding of their organizations and their nation, through topics like Finance, Human Resources, and panels with Myanmar business leaders.
Instructors emphasize interaction, participation, critical thinking, and group processing. Fellows notice and embrace new ways of learning, individually and as a team.
Fellows, Instructors, Mentors, and everyone involved with the DeBoer Fellowship affirm strong community values.
- Collaboration – trusting like-minded people as you work for the good of Myanmar.
- Integrity – practicing honesty and fairness.
- Advancement of Myanmar – helping the country, especially children and people with limited resources.
- Service to others – helping others, but not dominating or controlling them.
- Diversity – welcoming interaction with people from different backgrounds and respecting their views.
- Excellence – pursuing top quality in all ways.
Fellow receive supplies and technology tools to help them get the most out of their Fellowship experience.
Recognitions & Awards
Upon completion of the Fellowship program, Fellows receive graduation certificates presented at a large public reception in Yangon to honor their achievement.
In addition, Fellows who most exemplify the core values and practices of the Fellowship, such as competence, character, dedication, and teamwork are selected to receive special achievement awards.
All expenses related to the Fellowship are covered by the DeBoer Foundation, Inc.