The DeBoer Fellowship is one of the premier leadership development programs in Myanmar, connecting and training highly motivated and proven citizen leaders from all regions of the country. Each fall, the DeBoer Fellowship carefully selects a group of mid-career Myanmar citizen leaders for an intensive year of personal and professional development.
Fellows receive personal coaching, supportive colleagues, and over 15 days of first-rate instruction in leadership, management, and ethics from Myanmar and global experts. DeBoer Fellows go on to thrive and adapt within Myanmar’s dynamic environment, and positively impact others in their communities and organizations.
Over the course of nine months, Fellows attend three five-day workshops in retreat settings, with professional-development projects in-between. This year’s Fellow Events take place on the following dates.
- Fellow Event #1: 14 – 18 January 2020
- Fellow Event #2: 12 – 16 May 2020
- Fellow Event #3: 28 September – 3 October 2020
Our model combines interactive instruction and coaching by Myanmar and global experts designed for our Fellows to enhance their workplaces and communities. Throughout the Fellowship, Fellows can expect to experience new ways of learning:
- In-person seminars
- Group processing
- Critical thinking
- Personal reflection
- Team collaboration
Our Fellow Events are designed to build off of content from the previous Fellow Event. The first Fellow Event focuses on personal leadership. The second Fellow Event teaches about leading others. The third Fellow Event helps Fellows learn leadership strategies for their organizations. Below is a sample of topics covered throughout the program.
- Conflict Transformation
- Leadership Styles
- Personal Habits and Calling
- Strategic Planning
- Human Resources
Our Fellows are Myanmar nationals who have a desire to transform their communities, organizations, and country for good. These individuals have a strong commitment and history of service to others and have a good work ethic. Fellows demonstrate the ability or desire to collaborate with others who are very different than themselves – people from different regions, ages, socio-economic classes, religions, ethnic groups, genders, and education levels. They are individuals who generously share what they learn with others from their businesses and communities. They care deeply about the country of Myanmar and want to grow their skills and knowledge to contribute to the advancement of the nation.
Applicants must be:
- Myanmar nationals with at least five or more years of experience in a position of responsibility
- 25 years or older at the time of application submission
- Proficient in speaking, reading and listening in the English language
- If English comprehension is not strong, the Fellow will not get as much benefit from the Fellowship instruction.
- Able to demonstrate significant life experiences and accomplishments
- Passionate about learning and committed to personal growth
- University degrees are highly valued but will not be required to participate
*Applicants should not be a collegiate student during the Fellowship year.
Fellows receive supplies and technology tools to help them get the most out of their Fellowship experience.
All expenses related to the DeBoer Fellowship are covered by the DeBoer Foundation, Inc.